Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sandusky's sentences and hoping it sends a message to other pedophiles (aka child sexal predaors)

It is all over twitter that Sandusky got 30 to 60 years for his terrible sexual abuse of numerous children. I also read that Sandusky claims he is innocent. If that isn't telling I don't know what it. He apparently released a tape yesterday (I am guessing as a way to try to persuade the public) stating, that he is innocent. The reality is that he got away with his charade for many many years. It must seem weird to him that his lies aren't working any more.  His denial seems to be running so deep that he has become delusional. It must be very weird for him to have to be held accountable for his actions. Actions that for many years were pushed aside by many people. If you spent the better part of thirty plus years getting away with harming children because of the status you held. I think you would be very confused as to why your claiming innocence isn't working anymore. Those at Penn State who were part of this coverup need to realize that they are part of the reason Sandusky is out there claiming he is innocent. If they didn't believe his lies and held him accountable for his actions years ago; not only would less children have been victimized but, he would have had several years sitting in jail thinking about what put him there.

I suspect he is going to turn down all resources that are offered to help him with his pedophilia. This is quite common. Most child sexual offenders turn down help in jail. Some don't, but a lot do. The research I have done for this blog on pedophiles (aka child sexual predators) shows that most pedophiles don't feel what they have done is wrong. They honestly believe that the children were active participants in their sexual abuse. They neglect to remember that they have spent God knows how long grooming their victims. I don't think you could do something this heinous if you had a conscience about what you are doing. Society as a whole needs to do a better job of educating on who child sexual predators (aka pedophiles) are. We need to do a better job of educating children on what grooming and child sexual abuse is. Most victims are so young they don't even realize that what is happening to them is sexual. I have read several stories from survivors that discuss this. My own experience was that as I got older (around 9 years old) I started to realize what was happening wasn't okay. It is very strange and scary when you realize what is being done to you isn't right. As a child you are helpless to stop it and afraid to tell.

I for one am glad that Sandusky is away for the rest of his life. I wish this was going to be a deterrent for other child sexual predators, but I fear it won't. I hope the Sandusky case has created conversations between children and their parents/guardians about sexual abuse. I hope that his sentencing doesn't end the national conversation that is happening. The more child sexual abuse is talked about the more children will be protected. Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment