Saturday, October 13, 2012

Parents on alert: Child abductions rarely committed by strangers

This article is a reminder that in most cases children are not abducted by strangers. Yes unfortunately their are children who are abducted by strangers and stranger danger is important to protect children. Especially against the eighteen percent of people who abduct children they don't know. http://kdvr.com/2012/10/11/parents-on-alert-child-abductions-rarely-committed-by-strangers/ This is very similar to the reality that most children who are sexually abused are abused by someone who they know. Most of the research I have done on this states that children who are sexually abused by strangers only account for seven percent of all cases of child sexual abuse. I have had people leave me comments on this blog challenging this percentage and I have steered them to the articles where I have gotten my information.

It honestly sucks we live in a world where children can't walk down the street without being at risk. It also sucks that children live in an environments where adults take advantage of them in the worst way. Almost every person that I speak to, in relation to my experience and my advocacy against child sexual abuse, knows someone who has been sexually abused. I spoke to a women today and she shared three story's that she experienced with pedophiles when she was raising her daughter. She shared how she works with children who have survived this trauma and explained to me how mad it makes her mad at how much damage is done to children. She explained that it is not only physical, but emotional and spiritual as well. She stated to me what I have said, "It effects their very soul and lasts a lifetime." I would love to be on some sort of panel as a survivor who talks to those who are convicted of sexually abusing a child. I would be very glad to share the impact this has had on my whole life. For that matter I would love to be able to be on a panel arguing against those who want to abolish the sexual offender registry.

I pray for this young girls family this story is tragic. Rosie


Posted on: 8:16 pm, October 11, 2012, by , updated on: 08:18pm, October 11, 2012
According to the Department of Justice, 800,000 children are reported missing every year in the united states.  Out of that number, 69,000 were kidnapped. “I think anytime a child is missing it’s a big number.  Whether it’s one or 69,000, but yes, 69,000 sounds like a large number,” says criminal justice professor Stacey Hervey from Metro State College in Denver.
Our children are taught to beware of stranger-danger. “If someone you don’t know approaches you, that you yell and scream that this is not my mom or dad,” says Hervey.

 But the likely danger is closer to home.  Of the 69,000 children kidnapped every year, 82 percent, eight out of ten, are abducted by a family member.  “In the case of Jessica Ridgeway the media picks up on it very quickly and of course it puts the fear in every parent’s heart.  But in reality they are a very miniscule  number as far as stranger abductions.  The likelihood  is someone that you know is going to take your kid.”
When it comes to anyone having regular contact with your child, don’t be paranoid, be prudent.  “Child predators are very manipulative, and do want to work themselves into your life and make you trust them.”
And the odds of your child being abducted by anybody?  That would be .02 percent.  Perspective is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment