Sunday, December 18, 2011

Ten-year-old abuse victim tells secret to authorities to save sisters

I find the article below just reading the internet this morning. This ten year old girl had a tremendous amount of courage to refuse to go home. She did a wonderful thing for herself and her sisters. The school should be commended on stepping in and supporting these girls. What really disturbs me about this story is that the ten year old told her mother for two years that the boyfriend was sexually abusing her, yet the mother did nothing. This is something I just don't understand. If my daughter had told me that someone was sexually abusing her I would probably be in jail. I will never understand a mother or father for that matter that doesn't protect their children.

How could this mother leave this monster in that house? I am guessing she didn't work, wasn't able to earn enough money to support herself and her girls and felt that she needed this man. Welfare is better then subjecting your children to abuse. Any parent that chooses a significant other over their children isn't a parent in my opinion and should loose custody of their children. A mother is supposed to protect her children. I know first hand how this child must have felt when she told her mother she was being abused and the mother did nothing. I experienced the same thing when I was a child. I would tell Ruth stories of the RA abuse I was suffering and her response was it was just a bad dream. When I would tell her that someone touched me the wrong way I heard again it was just a bad dream. This was very confusing and created a lot of anxiety for me. I went most of my life until I was 27 years old trying hard to get Ruth to love me. This never happened. She was so destructive in my life, that I  made the choice my children were more important then her. I made the decision to never talk to her again. For a ten year old to have the courage that I didn't gain until I was 27 is astounding and deserves to be applauded. This child will go very far in her life and I hope that the family she is living with now has the skills to raise these three children who have suffered so much.

Statistically speaking from all of the research I have been doing this pedophile choose the right type of family to abuse. I bet he knew how much this woman struggled financially and knew that he could worm his way into her life. Pedophiles tend to choose families where their is a single parent household who are not very educated. This is not to say at all that pedophiles don't pick on stable, more financially secure children. They do as we know by the Poly Prep story. They statistically prey on the vulnerable and socioeconomic status doesn't matter. Can you imagine how secure this pedophile felt that this mother knew he was doing what he was and she did nothing. What type of signal did she send to him? I hope the court system sends a strong signal to her. Applauding this ten year old, Rosie

Reporter
DAVENPORT, Iowa—
A 10-year-old girl refused to go home on her school bus and stayed behind to tell a teacher about years of molestation at the hands of her mother's boyfriend, to save her little sisters from ongoing abuse.


''I didn't want them to get hurt anymore or bad things to happen to me, again'', the 10-year-old victim said.
She says she told her mother about the abuse for two years, but her pleas for help were ignored.
"Several times, she told her mom, but her mom wouldn't do anything about it," said Christie Rimkus, the girl's aunt and now, caretaker.

So earlier this year, the girl refused to get on her school bus in Davenport, and reported the abuse to a teacher.

"She wouldn't allow her sister to get on the bus, either. She said, 'No, we're not going home.' She knew he would be there," said Rimkus.

Police were called. The boyfriend, Jaymie Souder, plead guilty in November to sexually abusiing the three little girls, now ages 10, 7, and 6.

"She saved everybody. She says 'I've been hurt enough. My sister's been hurt enough, and I'm not gonna let it happen again'," Rimkus says of the 10-year-old's action.

The mother is in jail for child endangerment, but faces possible upgraded charges later this month.  The girls were told about the arrest Tuesday and handled it, Rimkus says, like "champs". 

The little girl and her sisters are doing well in school.  Some have called her a hero for having the courage to come forward, when her mom refused to help save her and her sisters from the years of abuse.

Here's what the little girl's advice is to other kids, if they tell and no one listens.

"Tell your teacher. If you're ten or older, make sure you tell about your little sister. Like me. You can be a hero. And thanks, for calling me a hero."

Rimkus and her husband are hoping a kind-hearted attorney comes forward to help in their quest for permanent custody of the three sisters.  They hope to adopt them, but say they don't have the $1,500 up-front that some lawyers have quoted as the going rate.

Right now, the focus is on Christmas, though.  The girls are abuse-free and safe for the first time in their lives.

"They are so resilient. After all they've been through, they're still bubbly kids," said Rimkus.

No comments:

Post a Comment