Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Understanding someone's history of trauma.

I am thoroughly enjoying this blog. I am especially enjoying reading other blogs. It is good to read others stories. I am learning a log about trauma that I didn't know. I am learning that there are people who have been traumatized by the wrong diagnosis. I can't imagine being diagnosed with a mental illness to find out you never had it in the first place. It would piss me the heck off and I would want everyone to know what happened and why. I can't imagine the trust issues that surround having a therapist or mental health team misdiagnose me. I have heard of people being treated for chronic health conditions they didn't have due to incompetent doctors. I myself have experienced a doctor refusing to put me on medication due to the anxiety attacks I was having in my late teens. This doctor could have saved me years of suffering if he had been willing to properly diagnose and treat me.
I am also reading blogs about people who are experiencing the long term effects of severe trauma. There are blogs that discuss what I have survived. One of the common mental health diagnosis for people who survive ritual abuse abuse is Dissociative Identity Disorder. There are a couple blogs I read where people are sharing their journey's with this diagnosis. I am appreciating their stories and their willingness to share what they have and are going through. It is teaching me that I am not alone in my survival story. I never felt alone in my story but I was unwilling to learn about others. I am grateful to God for helping me to get to a place where I want to not only learn about others but hopefully next year attend a couple of conferences where I will meet other survivors face to face. This is a very new thing for me and I find it very freeing. I want to continue to grace and gratitude everyday. Blessings, Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment