Monday, October 17, 2011

What is redemption?

I have found many definitions of redemption I will add a few that are important to me.


1. an act of redeeming  or the state of being redeemed.
2.deliverance; rescue.
3.Theology . deliverance from sin; salvation.
4.atonement for guilt.


 
When I think of redemption in my life I think of  the above 4 definitions. I think of redemption as a process. We all the ability to be redeemed if we so choose. Why do I choose to feel I have lived a redemptive life? I choose this because of Gods hand in my life throughout my life. We are all born into families we had no choice over. Sometimes those families teach us things that no one should ever have to learn. If we look at what we were taught and do the hard work on ourselves so we don't end up teaching others, especially our children these same things that is one way we choose to live a redemptive life. 

I am not exactly sure how this blog will flow I am new to this. I made the conscience choice to write my life story and have almost finished it. It is a story that for the past 20 years several people including therapists, other mental health professionals, family and friends have told me I needed to write. It has been floating around in my head for over 30 years. Then over the Christmas Holiday last year I read a book called The Glass Castle  by Jeannette Walls. This book was an amazing journey of Jeannette Walls childhood through adulthood. We both were born and raised in the same era. When I read her book I was touched by the similarities in our lives even though we lived in different parts of the country.
The common thread we shared is that we both dealt with things growing up that children shouldn't have to. We both made decisions to change the circumstances of our lives by getting out of our circumstances. One of the ways we both did this was through education. She was born in poverty, had a mother that was mentally ill and a father that was a alcoholic and so did I. Her book led me to realize it was time to write mine. Then the words just started coming. While this process has been difficult at times I know the outcome will be worth it.
I would like very much for this blog to be a give and take. I want the reader to challenge me and I would like to challenge the reader. So please ask me any question you would like. I hope we both enjoy where this journey is taking us. Rosie10-17-11

No comments:

Post a Comment